How you can get ahead with Amazon’s Frustration-Free Packaging (FFP) program
Frustration-free. That’s how packaging should be.
In an effort “to reinvent packaging that delights customers, reduces waste and minimizes cost” (talk about a triple-threat!), Amazon is enhancing their Frustration-Free Packaging (FFP) program and encouraging brand-owners to develop more efficient, sustainable packaging for the e-commerce sectors of their businesses.
Compared to traditional retail packaging, e-commerce packaging doesn’t require “romance” packaging that helps products stand out on store shelves. Less wasteful, more shipment-friendly packaging has helped Amazon eliminate “…more than 500 million boxes and more than 244,000 tons of packaging materials” since the FFP program began in 2007.
But, with consumer demand for “immediate” delivery at an all-time high, the e-commerce supply chain is rapidly changing to accommodate one-day (and, in some cases, one-hour) delivery. By focusing on packaging reduction, Amazon’s three-tier FFP program promotes sustainability at each level of the packaging supply chain:
- OEMs & Brand-Owners: Eliminating excess "romance" packaging helps reduce packaging materials and freight costs. But, that doesn't mean brands can't still stand out! Without the need for secondary packaging at Amazon's cross docs and fulfillment centers, the FFP program allows brands to design and use their own packaging from manufacture to delivery.
- Amazon: FFP-approved packages won't require double (over) boxing, eliminating both time and materials needed when accepting, sorting and prepping products for fulfillment.
- Consumers: Less packaging means less expensive shipping, less waste, less time spent waiting for delivery and unpacking and, of course, less frustration!
With all this information, it can be hard to determine where to start. That's where we come in.
As specialists in unique, niche packaging, we're inspired to create innovative alternatives that promote sustainability. From banding and tying to stretch wrapping and shrink wrapping, our solutions help reduce packaging material and waste while increasing throughput.
Here's an example:
- Replace expensive, bulky corrugated inserts with a more sustainable and protective solution to bundle cell phone kits
- Keep phone ports accessible
Using the Felins Flex-Strap stretch film banding machine, we bundled all contents of the cell phone kit.
The heat seal created by the Flex-Strap prevented the bands from unraveling but, with a flexible band, the phone ports remained accessible. In fact, the phone could be easily removed as needed for activation without compromising the integrity of the rest of the bundle.
With a bundling solution from Felins, you too can benefit from a unique solution that:
- Reduces packaging costs by eliminating excess packaging including void fill and over packaging
- Decreases freight costs with more products able to fit in each truckload
- Protects your products
- Helps keep customers happy with enhanced delivery speeds
- Adheres to the requirements for Amazon's frustration-free packaging certification
If you're ready to revolutionize your e-commerce packaging, contact us! We're excited to work together to reduce waste, increase efficiency and turn e-commerce on its head with bundling solutions that don't break the bank.